as of 2013, Jack and I have been putting Playground on for 6 years now. It’s a free outdoor dance party underneath the iconic and breathtakingly beautiful St. Johns Bridge in Portland. The very first one was a collective effort with Evan Bluetech, Rain PhuturePrimitive, Manoj, myself, Jack and Victor chipping in 50-100 bucks to throw a free park party. Since then it’s continued growing and gaining noteriety as a staple in the Portland electronic scene. It draws people from a wide variety of electronic sub-scenes and gets them to hang out in the sun all day. This fact is especially pronounced when you end up with my super jaded IDM nerd friends being actually hearing house music, Not to say they don’t complain or like it one bit, but one hopes with repeated exposure they will strengthen their resistance and not have such a strong reaction when they hear it.
Anyways, I’m really pleased with this recording/set. I’ve finally nailed down the tricky 110-117 bpm wonky balearic / cosmic disco vibe which I didn’t have any recordings of… until now. Of additional note is that this mix really spans the length of time I’ve been listening to electronic music starting with a tune from ’92-’93 and covering all the years in-between.
- Leftfield – Release the Pressure
- Gaudi – Sufani
- Adham Shaikh – Ciew Mewele by Issa Bagayogo (Dusty Foot Remix)
- Homerun – Perfect Storm
- Simian Mobile Disco Unit – Flea in your ear
- Baby Mammoth – Baroque n Roll
- God Within – The phoenix (Steal from the rich remix by Robbie)
- Flexe – Green Walls / Blue Sheets
- Kilowatts – Hammerstrings
- Daft Punk – Georgio Moroder (phidelity edit)
- Flexe – Programmable love songs
- Spirit Catcher – Ren Des Vous!
- Mystica – Bliss
- Simian Mobile Disco Unit – Are you in the Picture?
- The Polish Ambassador – Skinny Jeans
- Adam Freeland – Big Wednesday