I’ve been wanting to do the Mount Defiance / Starvation Creek trail for a while but its near the end of the Columbia River Gorge and the actual hike itself is brutal – 5,000 foot elevation gain over 5 miles. Its more or less straight up the mountain. We got a late start so we didn’t make it to the summit of Mount Defiance, but we did do 3/4′s of the hike. We plan to go back and summit this summer.
This hike is a mix-bag with some 3 amazing waterfalls including the hole in the rock waterfall as well as some really nice basalt formations. Unfortunately, theres a portion of the hike that walks under some telephone wire.
For those wanting to do this hike take I-84 east from Portland to exit 55. From the parking lot you want to walk on the trail to the right which backtracks west alongside 84. Take this for a mile and there are signs.
View the rest of the Travelogue Posts
- Travelogue: Maui, Hawaii
- Cape Kiwanda
- Glacier Roadtrip
- Salt Lake City And New Art
- Travelogue: Photosynthesis 2011
- Prosperity 2011
- Seattle trip photos
- Mt Defiance Hike
- Shasta Elemental
- SE Asia Travels part 8: Banteay Srei and more
- SE Asia Travels part 7: Ta Prohm & Floating Village
- SE Asia Travels part 6: Angkor Wat
- SE Asia Travels part 5: Saigon - Phnom Penh
- SE Asia Travels part 4: Southern Thailand Phuket
- SE Asia Travels part 3: Northern Thailand
- SE Asia Travels part 2: Bangkok, Thailand
- SE Asia Travels part 1: Bali, Indonesia
- Prosperity, Friends and uhh Lichen?
- Abstract Ice
- Seaweed picking at the Coast