This was the 9th Esthetric Evolution which takes place deep in a beautiful Idaho valley 1.5 hours north of Boise. It is a really interesting blend of oldschool seasoned ravers and no holds barred youthful neo-raver types replete in faux fur and candy regalia. Jesiah of Chickenhed asked me to play on the ‘chill’ stage – in checking the main board to see who was playing when I noticed that, in the genre column, every single artist was listed as “psychedelic”, which gave me a chuckle as I’m not a big fan of the genre pigeonhole.
This set started off with a style I described to a friend as being the audio equivelant of “a monkey on the edge of your clawfoot bathtub performing a violin serenade for your bubblebath”. This style leads into weird and not quite relaxing psychedelic IDM glitch. There was a point where my wife, Alisha, thought I took it too far and said with that small amount of concern in her voice that wives are known for “This is a chill room – isn’t this a bit too crazy?” I responded that “It’s not a chill room – it’s the psychedelic stage and this is perfect… just listen to it… it sounds like your mind being flushed down a toilet!” I did eventually chill out a bit and played music that focused more on the beauty and less on the challenge.
I also did an uptempo set on Saturday evening at this festival.
- Unknown – Unknown (I’m working on it…)
- Robert Rich – Premonitions of circular clouds
- Atom ™ – Weißes Rauschen (Zweiter Teil)
- Robag Whrume – Brücke Vier
- Bichi – Clouds Are Parceled Out Across My Vision
- Koan Sound – Green and Blue
- Boards of Canada – Dayvan Cowboy
- Tipper – Algae Bloom in Seven
- Kiln – Korsaire
- Autechre – Corc
- EU – Boloto
- Bogger – Error
- Bichi – I am the god of small changes scamming my way through the future
- Al Tourettes – Memory jogging
- Bitstream – Streamlining
- Bola – Veronex Cypher
- Skipsapiens – Doctor Silla
- Ochre – Low Gravity Freefall
- Mr Projectile – I am Here
- Bluetech – Escape
And below are some photos from the event, enjoy!